The primary vendor CleverTap uses in the backend for WhatsApp communications is Nexmo. Contact our sales team at [email protected] to enable WhatsApp for your organization.
CleverTap users can now leverage the following WhatsApp capabilities of Nexmo to communicate with their customers:
- Sending just-in-time offers to customers to drive purchases
- Gathering feedback on the services
- Keeping customers informed and more
The following are the prerequisites:
- You must have WhatsApp add-on enabled on the Clevertap account in addition to the basic price plan.
- Ensure that WhatsApp onboarding for the phone number to be used with CleverTap is completed.
- Ensure that you have all the credentials from Nexmo handy.
This process involves the following three major steps:
- Find Nexmo Details.
- Configure CleverTap Dashboard.
- Set up CleverTap callbacks in Nexmo.
We recommend that you keep the following information handy before starting with the configuration on the CleverTap dashboard:
Mobile Number: It is the mobile number on which the WhatsApp business account is activated.
App ID : To obtain the App ID, navigate to the Build and Manage > Applications page from the Nexmo dashboard.
If the application is not created, you can go to Applications and click + Create a new application.
- Private Key: A private key is downloaded automatically after you create a new application on the Vonage dashboard. Store this key as you may need this for future usage.
To configure the CleverTap dashboard:
- Navigate to Settings >Channels > WhatsApp from the CleverTap dashboard.
- Click + Add Provider. The Add WhatsApp provider screen displays.
- Select Nexmo from the dropdown displays.
Now, enter the following credentials obtained from the Nexmo dashboard in the above step on the Provider credentials screen:
- Private Key
- App ID
To send an automatic reply to users who message on WhatsApp, but are not tracked on the CleverTap dashboard, you can select the Set auto-reply for users not tracked on CleverTap checkbox.
Send a Test WhatsApp notification:
To ensure that the integration is successful:
a. Click the Send Test WhatsApp hyperlink before you start creating WhatsApp campaigns and journeys. To begin with, activate the conversation window by following any one of the following methods:
i. Save the business contact and send a WhatsApp message to that number.
ii. Copy and share the link with the user you want to send the test notification to. Further, ask the user to click on the link and send a WhatsApp message to initiate a conversation.
iii. If you want to send a test notification to yourself, you can click the link and initiate a WhatsApp conversation.
b. Enter the following details:
Country Code and Mobile Number: Enter the country code and mobile number of the user to whom you want to send the test message.
Message: Here, you can enter the sample text message you want to send to the test user. Once you click on Send Test, the success or failure response displays on the dashboard. If the message is not delivered, you can copy the response payload and share it with the Gupshup team to debug the issue.
- Click Save to save the details.
You must copy the Inbound Message Callback URL and Status Callback URL from the CleverTap Provider credentials screen and paste them into the Nexmo dashboard. This helps you receive incoming messages and the delivery status of outgoing messages.
To add/paste the callback URLs, login to your Nexmo dashboard > navigate to Applications > Click Edit under the Messages section as shown in the image below.
Callback Payload Version
Ensure that you select the payload version as 0.1 in the Nexmo dashboard to receive the callbacks properly. Refer to the image below for a better understanding.
In order to create WhatsApp campaigns, you need to have pre-approved WhatsApp message templates saved in the CleverTap dashboard. Follow the procedure below to add the templates.
- Navigate to Settings > Channels > WhatsApp > Provider Nickname in the CleverTap dashboard. Further Select the Templates option, and click +Template.
- Enter the namespace in the Namespace field from your Facebook Business Manager dashboard. Refer to the screenshot below for a better understanding. You need to enter this only for the first template configuration.
- Enter the template name from the Facebook Business Manager page in the Template Name field.
- Choose the type of template header (Text or Media). For Media headers, you can use Image, Video, Document, and Location
- Enter the message content.
- You can also choose to add a Footer text and a Button (Quick Reply or a Call To Action).
- You can also choose the language in which you want to display the message.
- Click Save Template.
You can send a test message using the saved templates from the CleverTap dashboard as follows:
- Hover over the desired template for which you want to send a test notification.
- Click Send Test.
- Select the test profiles or manually enter the mobile number to whom you want to send the test message and click Send Test.
The success or failure response is displayed on the dashboard. If the message is not delivered, you can copy the response payload and share it with the Nexmo team to debug the issue, as shown in the following figure:
To create a WhatsApp campaign using Nexmo as the provider, refer to Create a WhatsApp Campaign for detailed instructions.
To create a WhatsApp journey using Nexmo as the provider, refer to Create a WhatsApp Journey for detailed instructions.
Updated 2 months ago